Polygonati HUANG JING, SOLOMAN'S SEAL/ CHOOSE: High Potency Granules or Top Quality Whole Herbs
CHOOSE: High Potency Granules or Top Quality Whole Herbs
HUANG JING, Polygonati Rhizoma
- Mandarin: HUANG JING
- Botanical: Rhizoma Polygonati
- Japanese: Osei
- Korean: Hwangchong
- English: Soloman's Seal
Solomon Seal Rhizome polygonati, or Huang Jing, like Ginseng, is said to prolonging life. Unlike Ren Shen (Ginseng), it is inexpensive. Note that there is another plant called Gou Wen (Gelsmium elegans), from the family which can be mistaken for HUANG JING but is toxic.
What is HUANG JING?
HUANG JING is the root of either Polygonatum kingianum, Polygonatum sibiricum, or Polygonatum cyrtonema. It is also known as Solomon Seal, Polygonati Rhizoma, and Siberian Solomon’s Seal. It is grown in Hebei, Inner Mongolia, Shaanxi, Yunnan, Guizhou, and Guangxi provinces.
HUANG JING'S TCM Properties
HUANG JING is sweet and neutral. It enters the spleen, lung, and kidney. HUANG JING nourishes yin and moistens dryness, It invigorates the 'Spleen' and builds qi. HUANG JING also nourishes the 'Kidney' and helps to Replenish the JING.
HUANG JING'S Benefits
HUANG JING is a general QI tonic that is well suited to the aged, as it strengthens both the YIN and YANG. Multiple YIN/YANG deficiency patterns are common as we age. The herb is also said to harmonize the middle burner, harmonize all the five zang organs, build muscle and bone marrow, and make the skin youthful.
Research Shows that HUANG JING:
- improves immunity, and promote the synthesis of DNA and RNA
- inhibits mycobacterium tuberculosis
- inhibits pathogenic fungi, typhoid bacillus, and Staphylococcus aureus
- can increase blood flow, lower blood pressure, and reduce blood lipids
- inhibits epinephrine, but can induce hyperglycemia
HUANG JING is used for
- Dry cough due to YIN Deficiency
- Weak lower back and knees due to Kidney Deficiency
- Impotence and nocturnal emission
- Ear ringing and diminished eyesight
- Premature graying
Recommended dosage of HUANG JING
10 to 15 grams (dried herb) and from 30 to 60 grams (fresh herb) in decoction, teapills or cream.
1. Gou Qi Wan. From Qi Xiao Liang Fang (Magic Effective Prescriptions), this formula combines this herb with Gou Qi Zi (Goji Berry) to supply vital essence.
2. Man Jing Zi San. From Tai Ping Sheng Hui Fang (Taiping Holy Prescriptions for Universal Relief), this prescription uses it with Man Jing Zi (turnip seed) to cure eye disorder, nourish the liver-Qi, and improve eyesight.
3. Huang Jing Gao Fang. From Qian Jin Fang (Thousand Pieces of Gold Formulae), this recipe takes it alone to enrich kidney essence and thus delay senescence and improve dizziness, soreness and weakness of waist and knees, premature graying and other premature aging symptoms.
Rhizoma polygonati side effects and contraindications
Rhizoma polygonati was rated with a class 1 by the AHPA. That is to say, it is quite safe if it is used properly. From the perspective of TCM (Traditional Chinese medicine), it shouldn’t be used in the cases of diarrhea due to pathogenic cold of middle warmer, qi depression, and distention and fullness caused by phlegm-damp stagnation.